Friday, June 22, 2012

White Rim Trail, Can\ayonlands UT

What a blast John and I had on our mountain biking vacation with my sister, Natalie, and brother-in-law, JP. It was seriously beautiful and so fun. I had never been mountain biking before, but I knew that John would love to go, so I tagged along and truly had a great time. It was so fun hiking, biking, four-wheeling and camping. Fun memories and even more amazing views.
Our initial repelling hike turned into a regular hike as it was so windy we nearly blew off the mountain and we were in a crevice! 
atop the Shaffer switchbacks, starting out the White Rim trail
 At the top of the white rim trail, it dropped hundreds of feet in a matter of a couple miles, so amazing.
Greg, JP's brother, Chris, JP's long time friend, JP and John
 This out cropping was just off the trail, they all had to hop over a, what seemed to me, large crack to get over here. 
Musselman Arch
Natalie and I walked over this arch, it was kinda spooky but looks a lot worse in real life, what a thrill.

 We went in a group of 10, so we brought 2 cars to follow the bikers and offer some relief from the 80 mile trail. The trail was barely wide enough for cars to follow the entire way. I found a new love driving this jeep through some awesome areas.
 I think everyone took a spill here and there, but JP went airborne off his bike on this one. It was pretty impressive minus landing on a thorny bush. Natalie and I were the designated nurses of the trip, since well we both are nurses :)
John overlooking the cliff
On several of the cliffs you could overlook and just by the way the cliff was cut you could see hundreds of feet down, it gave major vertigo and every on looker a heart attack as they crawled to the edge.
White Crack
Some of the guys took a detour to see the White Crack, which is basically a huge plateau with a 360 degree view on top. John said it was the prettiest spot on the trip.
I loved being with my sister and spending time biking and driving together. I will remember the time we had together forever. 
John biked about 60 miles of the trail while I biked about 40 miles. It was grueling and fun at the same time. Will definitely look into this trip again!

1 comment:

emily a. said...

I've missed your posts. Looks and sounds like such a great trip.