Wednesday, January 13, 2010

The Hogle Zoo, Christmas Style...

Mom and Dad Andersen took us to the lights at Hogel Zoo this year. They were amazing. Yes is was as cold as it looks. The babies were champs and enjoyed the lights and a carousal ride.
I was surprised by how active the tigers and snow lepoards were. For those of you who don't know I have an uncanny fear of big cats and to see them bouncing around all over the cage, well it was quite terrifing for the likes of someone like me. I pumped myself up to be brave, you know show your kid that you can enjoy things that you might be slightly---or largely---afraid of. I was very cautious while heading to the first cage. People were swarming the leopards as they jumped from rock to rock and peered through the 1 inch thick glass that separated us from them. And wouldn't you know just as I turned my head to talk to my mom, one of those leopards jumped right next to me---almost knowingly it seemed---just as I turned back I saw it staring right at me, just inches away and I let out a scream. Everyone around, including myself and my mom, laughed. The leopard contiued to play around as I was trying to grasp that it really wasn't that close. Embarassed as several onlookers stared at me, I quickly left the exhibit. It was however a very memorable experience.
I would highly recommend all animal lovers to see the lights at Hogle Zoo. I think I will quietly pass seeing the big cats next time.

No comments: